Tuesday 28 June 2011

Top Ten Things I've Learnt Whilst Being Unemployed

What a beautiful day.  The sun is out, I've had a lie in to get over some bug I seem to have and just had a message on my phone saying that I've been invited to an interview.  The third one that I have in the offing so result. So as my job hunt mood is good today I thought what better time to write the ten things that I have learnt while being under employed

1. Have a routine
My week day routine involves getting up by 8am.  Not too early but early enough for half the day to not suddenly flown by.  Ok today I got up at 10 but I try not to make that the norm.


2. Make friends with your jobcentre adviser
Strangely my job centre adviser has now become my friend and we tend to have fun chats.  Ok he can't actually advise me about my job search but he seems enthralled by the type of marketing that I do. Our past few discussions have been about Government cuts and how their job centre is over budget and cutting back all over the place. Last week their water dispenser was removed in order for candidates to have appointment cards. Things really are getting that bad.  He also said that in terms of people chasing up on things it'll take them six months to a year at the moment as they are so behind.


3. You can't job hunt 24/7
Unlike what the latest Government says whereby they tag all job hunters with the same lazy tag, I firmly believe that you really cannot job hunt 24/7.  A few focused hours each day is more than adequate before you lose the actual will to live.

4. Still lead a normal life
Being unemployed or being made redundant no longer has that stigma.  The days of having a job for life are long gone and now our workforce is having to be more flexible.  Don't hide or be ashamed, loads of fab people have been out of the work in the past few years and with employers still worrying about our economy many more will surely be headed that way. What was it I heard on the news today - four major retailers have gone into administration in a week.

5. Exercise
The one constant that I try to do for a few hours each week.  Exercise is certainly a happy pill and leaves you wanting to take on the world with gusto.  Plus boxing also helps to release anger when people may have annoyed you.


6. Use your own network to hunt for that elusive role
I have got a job through my personal network so don't overlook the power of who you know.  Often jobs aren't advertised or you may have just missed it.  Talk to many and you never know what you may uncover.

7. Seek the advice of a professional
Professional advice can make sure that you are on the right track and that you stay there.  Plus they can give you a bit of a motivational kick too.  In terms of getting you CV up to scratch, talking to you about how the job market now works (it moves just like everything else) and being an understanding ear the right career consultant is worth their weight in gold.


8. Know what it is that you want
Agents bombard you with anything they have; all they want is to place someone and make commission. So have a clear idea in your mind what it is that you are after, salary, location, perks, team structure etc.  I get ones that want to put in roles that effectively take my career back over five years in terms of salary and responsibilities.  I know this would demoralise me and also mean that I would have such a hard slog to get back to where I was. 


9. Recruitment agents can both help and hinder
They certainly can.  Informing you of jobs that they don't have meaning that you may potentially not apply directly and then find out when you speak to the HR person that no agencies are being used for the role. For me that happened recently and the chat with the HR guy is ongoing and I am still in contention for the role. 

10. Smile
Smiling helps to lift the spirits. So chin up, hold your head up high and smile. 

7 comments:

  1. I love your blog!

    Came across it today when reading The Guardian.

    Very informative and great information for those that are unemployed.

    Incidentally, what sort of job are you looking for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I caught that bug from you? In future, keep it to yourself. :-P

    Based on your blogs, I think the water cooler was better value for money than the appointment cards. In fact, I'm surprised the government aren't asking jobseekers to pay for their own; but maybe I shouldn't give them ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @1000kindsofrain - so human bugs can now be transmitted online how scary is that! Imagine the possibilities though ...... Anyone posting nasty comments beware :)

    @andy - I am looking for a role in Business to business marketing. I'm mid level. Also looking into setting up on my own and taking on clients too which is exciting so I've been out and about making new contacts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh. So now you have another commenter you decide to get all shirty.

    Although, in fairness, I probably should have unplugged the DNA-synthesizer before reading your post. But I just needed to get it prepped and ready to smuggle into the NotW offices...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh you know I was thinking about writing a piece about online comments jealously ACouchPeanut anyone?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't mean to cause issues guys. Soz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andy we are joking I promise :). It's nice to have comments from different people. Reassures me that people do actually read my general ramblings.

    ReplyDelete